Christopher Jay Heller Premium Collection
While our customization section is under construction, please send a little info (color, style etc..) or inquires to firstname.lastname@example.org to get started. And I’ll be in touch. (Payment NOT required!)
Our click-to-buy hats are not available yet, but if you'd like to customize your own hand-crafted premium design hat by Christopher Jay Heller, keep reading, and fill out the form at the bottom of this page!
About Fur Felt Hats
Felt is the strongest natural fabric produced, because every fibre is interlocked in every direction with a number of other fibres. All other fabrics are made of fibers which are first twisted into threads and then woven by hand or machine.
The "Golden Standard": Due to its durability, beaver felt hats can last anywhere from 20 years to a lifetime. And because they spend the majority of their lives in water, beaver felt is virtually waterproof. Beaver felt is your pick for a lighter, stiffer, and thinner all-weather hat.
Mid-Grade: Beaver-rabbit blend and beaver felt hats can be reworked and shaped numerous times. Combined blends bring together the best of both worlds, creating a more weather-resistant hat with the softness of rabbit, but the stiffness of beaver.
Western Staple: Capable of lasting many years, rabbit felt hats are not as tightly interlocked as beaver felt hats. As a result, rabbit felt trades much water-resistance and stiffness for softness and thickness.
Why Premium? – Fur felt is created in the same manner as wool felt, but from much finer and softer materials. On top of being the smoothest known fabric, fur felt is also the lightest, most resilient, and most impervious to water when compared to other fabrics. The quality can't be beat, and it's only right that we devote our quality hand-crafting skills to a fabric of the same caliber.
Proper Hat Maintenance & Care
Learning how to clean felt hats is an important aspect of keeping your merchandise in tip-top shape. You’ll need a soft bristle brush and, in more extreme cases, a steam cleaner and powdered cleaners. We highly recommend that you leave any cleaning that requires more than a soft bristle brush to us.
- To clean a fur felt hat or wool hat, brush the top and bottom counter-clockwise with a soft bristle brush.
- Set your hat on its top or hang it from a peg or hat hook to help it retain its shape.
- If your hat gets wet, shake off all excess water, let dry, then lightly brush clean.
- Use steam to shape and clean hat. For heavy stains, powdered cleaners may be used. (Again, we recommend leaving all cleaning and reshaping to us.)
- You can find our Repair, Restoration, and Redesign form here.
There are three methods to measuring
your head size:
A. Do it Yourself:
- Take a measuring tape and place it around your head, slightly above the ears and in the middle of your forehead, with the tape held fairly closely to the head.
- Take the tape measure off your head, ensuring you have a way of recording the total length of your head’s circumference
- If you don’t have a tape measure, you can use a piece of string or cloth to measure around your head and then check the length of what you used with a ruler.
- Refer to the next section below to find your head shape.
B. Schedule An Appointment: You can schedule an appointment to drop by and see Christopher Jay Heller to get the exact measurement of your head, both in size and shape.
C. Visit Your Local Hat Shop: If you're outside the Los Angeles area, your other option is to visit your local hat store and have your head size and shape measure. Nearly all hat sellers perform this task for free.
How to find your head shape:
Below are examples of human head shapes from the perception of being viewed from front or back of the head. You can also have someone else tell you your head shape, visit your local hat shop, or schedule an appointment with us.
- Oval - sometimes known as "long oval", the most common head shape
- Round - the round shaped head is wider in the middle, approximately near the temples
- Egg - wider at the top and narrower at the bottom